Thursday, June 19, 2008

Appreciation

When I had reached the peak of my growth spurt as a kid, I pleaded with God for a few more inches. Even as a grown man, frustration finds me in the form of a stiff neck from craning my head skyward to view the world around me.

California Redwood

It is easy to get into the habit of wanting what we do not have, be it money, a perfect body, or a taller stature. This habit is at the root of many life-altering problems, including materialism, eating disorders, and infidelity.

If I constantly tell myself, "I wish I was taller," "I wish I had more money," "I wish I had the newest ..." then I will fail to appreciate the things I have, and (more importantly) the person I am. I will fail to take ownership of myself: one of the amazing individuals on this earth. I will be hindered from becoming my fully realized self. If this happens, I am doing a great disservice to myself and to the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny, random story...

I am at IMPACT this week with my youth group. I am sitting in the lobby of Swang (the business building at Lipscomb). I turn to my left during my conversation and who do I see smiling at me in a picture? Your dad. Yep, David Scobey's grill was displayed for all to see as Lipscomb's business leader of the year. Just thought you would like to know that.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

VFXY Photos PhotoRing Bloglisting.net - The internets fastest growing blog directory
Add to Technorati Favorites